Surbiton Farmers’ Market wins business award for Commitment to the Community
Award-winning Surbiton Farmers’ Market has added another accolade this week, receiving a Kingston Business Excellence Award 2018 for its Commitment to the Community.
Established nine years ago this month, Surbiton Farmers’ Market is a not-for-profit community market, run by volunteers. On the third Saturday of each month, Maple Road welcomes 26 farmers and producers selling wonderful fresh produce and speciality foods.
Each market has a nominated Charity of the Month stall with funds raised matched by the market. An annual tendering process for larger donations enables the funding of charities’ individual projects.
Since the market began it has helped raise over £60,000 for more than 50 local charities and causes, through fundraising activities and surplus proceeds from stall fees. Larger donations totalling nearly £4,000 in the past month alone have been:
- £1,090 toKingston Carers’ Networkfor young carers to go on a Christmas trip of a meal and ice skating
- £1,000 toKingston Association for the Blindfor trips and activities that combat loneliness and social isolation
- £850 to TAG Youth Club to support yoga sessions for disabled children and young people
- £515 to The Fircroft Trustfor craft materials for adults with mental health problems and/or learning disabilities
- £450 to Joel Community Servicesfor books for six book club sessions for homeless adults
The market’s Charities Manager and Director Robyn McAllister went along to the Awards ceremony on Raven’s Ait on Thursday 11th October. ‘I’m absolutely delighted to pick up this award on behalf of the amazing volunteers, stallholders and shoppers that make Surbiton Farmers’ Market so fantastic,’ said Robyn.
Surbiton Farmers’ Market reached its 100thmarket in April 2018 and has wonseveral local and national awards including the prestigious FARMA Farmers’ Market of the Year. Visit www.surbitonfarmersmarket.co.uk, join Facebook at Surbiton Farmers’ Market, and follow Twitter @SurbitonFM and Instagram @surbitonfarmersmarket, to find out more.
The Kingston Business Excellence Awards 2018are organised in partnership with Kingston Council, Kingston Chamber of Commerce and Kingston First, and the Commitment to the Community category is sponsored by Kingston University.